1. Special significance of Shabbos Shuvah, ‘teshuvah tatoh’ and ‘teshuvah iloh,’ one’s service must be felt in the heart, proper meditation leads to true service
2. Lesson from 5th of Tishrei — birthday of Naphtali, all Jews have connection with all the tribes, service to G-d in mode of unbounded leap, special emphasis on above in this year, lesson from Haftorah.
3. Explanation of Rashi on Devorim Chapter 31 verse 17 — “I will hide My face from them.”
1. Simchas Bais Hashoeva in time of exile starts on the first night of Sukkos, joy of Simchas Bais Hashoeva stems from source higher than nature, task of Jew to reveal G-dliness in world, joy of Simchas Bais Hashoeva illuminates entire world.
2. “Good for heaven and good for creatures”, two types of rejoicing, hospitality and “guests” on Sukkos.
3 Lesson from today’s portion of weekly parshah — everyone can be included in the category of Levi.
1. Joy of Simchas Bais Hashoeva on third night of Sukkos greater than preceding nights, Don’s task to defend the border against outside influences, service of converting darkness into light produces great joy.
2. Ya’akov’s service to spread holiness of Eretz Yisroel to outside, Alter Rebbe brought life to the intellect through Chassidus Chabad, intellect must be permeated with faith and self-sacrifice.
3. ‘Cessation of Torah study is its fulfillment,’ descent into the ‘outside’ produces greater ascent.
4. ‘Good for creatures’ is idea of elevating things outside the realm of holiness.
1. Extra joy of Simchas Bais Hashoeva due to Shabbos, Shabbos has inherent quality of joy; special correlation between Shabbos and Simchas Bais Hashoeva, water is level of Chochmah, wine level of Binah; revelation of level of Chochmah.
2. Lesson from seventh portion of Parshas Berachah — “Moshe went up”, levels of service of Moshe and Aharon, Aharon elevates Moshe, Ahavas Yisroel and project Sefer Torah.
1. Hakofos is auspicious time to annul opposition to Jewish ownership of Eretz Yisroel, G-d’s “King of the worlds,” Rabbis should be honored with fifth Hakofoh, and render Halachic decision that Eretz Yisroel belongs to Jews.
2. Jews have dominion over the entire world, exile does not affect Jews’ observance of Torah and mitzvos, Jews unite through purchasing letters in a Sefer Torah, G-d is ‘Helper of the needy,’ those who work for Sefer Torah campaign should be honored with sixth Hakofoh.
3. Children, the ‘Army of Hashem,’ honored with fifth Hakofoh.
4. ‘A person is where his thoughts are,’ those honored with sixth Hakofoh should consider themselves as celebrating the Hakofoh in Yerushalayim.
1. Difference between Shemini Atzeres and Sukkos, service of Sukkos has connection with gentiles, Shemini Atzeres is only for Jews, connection between Torah and gentiles, gentiles and the Seven Noachide Laws, revelations of time of redemption.
2. Concept of Sukkos and Shemini Atzeres in man’s spiritual service, Sukkos is idea of the seven Midos, Shemini Atzeres idea of Ratzon (will) and Tannug (pleasure), unity among Jews produced by Sefer Torah.
1. Different levels of joy culminating in Shemini Atzeres and Simchas Torah, different levels in concept of “You have chosen us,” Jew has opportunity to choose highest level.
2. Lesson from weekly parshah — “Rejoice Zevulun in your going out and Yissachar in your tents,” one must ‘go out’ to work with and elevate the world.
3. Difference between previous Rebbe and Rebbe Rashab, Rebbe Rashab spread Chassidus to Torah students, previous Rebbe spread Chassidus even to those removed from Torah, similarity of above to differences between King Dovid and King Shlomo.
4. Service of “Ya’akov went on his way” applies mainly on Motzoei Simchas Torah, man’s ‘way’ and ‘G-d’s’ way.
5. Women preceded men in receiving the Torah, the Two Tablets were square, not rounded at one end.
1. Shabbos Bereishis takes precedence over Shabbos Mevorchim MarCheshvan, distinction of Shabbos Bereishis is Torah.
2. Shabbos Bereishis effects renewal of the world, two types of renewal of creation, two types of service, Shabbos Bereishis effects completely new creation; one’s service must be in completely new fashion, and not fear any opposition, good resolutions in disseminating Judaism and Chassidus.
3. Difference between two names of the eighth month —MarCheshvan and Bul, Halachah clarified in Aramaic, elevation of the world specifically through non-holy tongues, one must not be influenced by the winter months.
1. Halachah unites Jews, regardless of any differences, “toch” of Halachah is the “word of G-d”; “toch” of Jews is the soul
2. Mitzvah of writing a Sefer Torah can be fulfilled by checking a Sefer Torah — even if no mistakes are found, same principle applies in bedikas chometz and admonishing a fellow Jew
3. Two separate concepts in writing a Sefer Torah to fulfill the mitzvah of “write for yourselves this Song” and to unite all Jews, all things associated with the individual letter that belongs to each Jew also apply to the Sefer Torah to unite all Jews, level of “Yechidah” must permeate all aspects of a Jew.
1. Each Shabbos Mevorchim corresponds to the unique service of that particular month, quintessence of month of Kislev is revelation of the esoteric, Chanukah associated with the third month, Chanukah and Chassidus banish darkness of exile.
2. Explanation of Zohar I, 121a Why was it specifically the sea and not the earth which raged against Yonah when he did not fulfill his mission?
3. Explanation of Bereishis 27:7. Why did Eliezer change Avraham’s words from “before you” to “with you?”
מוגה עריכת מסיבות חנוכה לילדי ישראל; מבצע חנוכה ושאר המבצעים; אחדות ישראל ע"י הצטרפותם בספרי תורה.
1. Talking of an event helps the remembrance, purpose of remembrance is to “keep” the event, Alter Rebbe imprisoned because of his work in spreading Torah and Judaism, we must follow Alter Rebbe’s example.
2. Yud-Tes Kislev associated with idea of ‘peace,’ first commandment is synthesis of two opposite concepts, purpose of soul’s descent is to effect peace, revelation of “I am the L‑rd your G‑d” permeated entire world.
3. Chanukah connected with children Jewish children should be gathered together and told story of Chanukah, involvement in Chanukah and other Mitzvah campaigns, all Jews to unite through participation in a Sefer Torah.
1. Chanukah is miracle of the oil, oil corresponds to the esoteric part of Torah, water to the exoteric, connection between Yud Tes Kislev and Chanukah — both involve the dissemination of the esoteric.
2. Effort must be invested in the propagation of Chassidus, proper effort is blessed with miraculous success, miracles because of human effort are loftier than those without.
3. Special lesson from this year when Shabbos is between Yud Tes Kislev and Chanukah, disseminating Chassidus in manner of ‘work on Shabbos, opposition automatically eliminated.
4. Explanation of Rashi on parshas Vayeishev Ch 37 verse 23 —why does Rashi interpret the verse to refer to two garments?
5. Lesson from above Rashi — distinction acquired from one s father’ to be applied to every facet of life.
מוגה הקשר דחנוכה שבו הי' נצחון מלחמה - ל"צבאות ה'" (ס"ב) רישום כל ישראל בספר תורה; פקודת היום דחנוכה ל"חנך" ולהתחנך בעבודת "צבאות השם"; נתינת מעות חנוכה. (ס"ה) ההוראה מחנוכה שייכת גם לארצות שמאחורי מסך הברזל.(ס"ט) נתינת שלש מטבעות לגדולים. (סי"ג)
1. Members of Tzivos Hashem carry out G‑d s mission of vanquishing the Yetzer, G‑d is Commander-in-Chief, lesson from Chanukah.
2. Sefer Torah is ‘register of Tzivos Hashem, lesson from Chanukah — to rededicate one’s Jewish heart, special directives for the days of Chanukah.
3. Constitution of USSR guarantees freedom of religion, all children should buy a letter in Sefer Torah, unity through Torah.
1. Lesson from Chanukah lights in an eight-branched menorah, all Jews are on level of “menorah made completely of gold,” all Jewish souls must be illuminated with “mitzvos which are a lamp and Torah which is light.
2. Chanukah lights associated with Torah study, the Sefer Torah campaign, Torah helps stabilize the world, Torah changes world, Jews are free men.
3. Prophecy in Daniel lends urgency to Sefer Torah campaign —”at that time your people shall be saved, everyone who is found written to the book.”
4. Explanation of Rashi on parshas Mikeitz 41:56 — what does ‘shever’ mean?
1. Fast day is “a day desirable to G‑d,” increase in Torah, prayer and tzedakah on fast day.
2. On 10th of Teves, Yerushalayim was besieged by Babylon, Yerushalayim represents fear of Heaven, Babylon the world, Yerushalayim and Babylon must be kept separate, beginning service of day is idea of fear of Heaven.
3. Daily portion of weekly parshah emphasizes humility.
4. Proper prayer conquers the seven emotions.
5. Sefer Torah campaign, fast days destined to be converted to days of joy and festivals, difference between Rambam and Scripture in order of events, ‘leaping’ over the normal order.
1. A tzaddik’s Yahrzeit “effects salvations in the midst of the earth,” revelation of the “salvations” affects even the lowest levels.
2. Lesson from above in man’s service — even the lowest level of people are affected by the revelation of “the salvation in the midst of the earth.”
3. Differences between Alter Rebbe’s Siddur and the Arizal’s Siddur, Alter Rebbe includes only those things associated with man’s service, Arizal includes all those things effected in the upper realms, Alter Rebbe’s Siddur of equal relevance to all Jews.
1. Preparation to Purim is instrumental in victory of Purim, preparations associated with Jewish children.
2. Task of Tzivos Hashem is to achieve victory over the Yetzer, a Jew must not “bow or prostrate himself” to non-Jewishness, the place of each Jewish child is the “capital city” of G‑d.
3. Victory of Purim is through unity of Jews, unity of Jews emphasized in daily portion of weekly parshah, all Jews can belong to the “legions of the King,” Sefer Torah campaign, building of the third Bais Hamikdosh.
הדרן על הרמב"ם ומסכת תענית ב' אופנים בידיעת אלקות, בחיוב ובשלילה, וחילוקי הדרגות בחיוב ושלילה בעילוי אחר עילוי עד אין־סוף - בסיום הרמס"ם ובסיום מסכת תענית, והחילוק שבין ב' הסיומים זה לגבי זה באופן של חיוב ושלילה.
1. Vessels of illumination; each person can influence entire world; Pesach is time of freedom; G‑d gives blessings for redemption.
2. Gratitude for good done; education is mainly moral and ethical training; reflection on purpose of existence is preparation to education; Yud-Aleph Nissan proclaimed as National Day of Reflection; thought superior to deed or speech.
3. Growth in years must bring growth in deeds; G‑d gives strength to fulfill mission in life; deed is the essential thing.
בסעי' מ"ו, כ"ק אד"ש ערך הדרן על הרמב"ם.
הוספה לוידיאו של התוועדות י"א ניסן תשמ"ב, נמצא באתר JEM.TV.
1. Mitzvah of Sefiras HaOmer every day of month of Iyar, lesson from above — to increase in Torah and mitzvos; G‑d pays measure for measure.
2. Lesson from daily portion of Chumash — “You shall love your fellow as yourself;” lesson from daily portion of Tehillim — G‑d is with every Jew and helps in the battle against the Yetzer; victory comes quickly.
3. Sixth of Iyar begins preparation to the “Season of the Giving of our Torah.”
1. Coincidence of number of events on this Shabbos; combination of holy matters gives greater strength.
2. Lesson from Shabbos — person’s service permeated with delight; lesson from parshas Emor — to speak to others with “soft words;” “judge every person meritoriously.”
3. Lesson from Pesach Sheni — “it is never too late;” “why should we be deprived;” lesson from Lag B’Omer — Ahavas Yisroel.
4. Lesson from 15th of Iyar — “moon is at its fullness;” service of being a “chariot.”
5. Lesson from 15th of Iyar — “the provisions they brought from Egypt were finished;” revelation of level of “King of kings, the Holy One blessed be He;” revelations affect also the physical; mission to spread Chassidus.
1. Distinction of Sivan — the “third month;” unity of Jews “as one man with one heart;” two types of unity; unity applies especially to Jews on a low spiritual level; “deed is the essential thing;” unity through Torah.
2. Lesson from Shabbos Mevorchim Sivan this year — good resolutions must be fulfilled immediately; unity of Jews through Sefer Torah.
3. Explanation of Rashi on Ch. 3 verse 4 of parshas Bamidbar — what is the meaning of “in the presence of?”
4. Differences in titles given to Alter Rebbe by his sons in their approbation to Tanya.
1. Explanation of why there are “seven days of completion;” lesson from above — each Jew must continually perfect his service.
2. Concept of rattan Torah expressed in today’s portions of Tehillim and Torah
3. Distinction of offerings on first day compared to last day; explanation of why the princes only donated six wagons; lesson from above — a person must utilize all his abilities and time for service to G‑d.
1. The significance of a birthday since the fetus is seemingly better off in the womb — nevertheless, independence is gained by being born — the practical lesson for us.
2. On the same theme — only upon being born can one make a real impact in the world — why the Alter Rebbe and the Baal Shem Tov are called the “Two Great Luminaries” — the lesson for us in educating our children.
3. Comparing the teachings of the Alter Rebbe and Baal Shem Tov — Chassidus Chabad and General Chassidus
4. The importance of ensuring that everyone is properly supplied for the Yomim Tovim.
1. Gathering of Tzivos Hashem expresses idea of “You are all standing steadfast today before the L‑rd your G‑d ... that you should enter into the covenant of the L‑rd your G‑d;” preparations for Rosh Hashanah.
2. Lesson from third day of week — “good for heaven and good for creatures;” Lesson from parshas Ha’azinu.